History

The first historical mention of the existence of a castle at Sugenheim is found in documentation from the year 1376. In the year 1386, the castle became the property of the von Seckendorff family, and remained in the von Seckendorff-Aberdar family’s hands until 1972.

The Neues Schloss was constructed in its current form through a complete renovation and consolidation of existing historic structures in the years 1746-1749, and thereafter served the family as its main residence.

The family member responsible for the construction of the Neues Schloss was Christoph Friedrich Freiherr von Seckendorff-Aberdar (1679-1759), who served in the court of the Markgraf of Ansbach in a number of key posts – lastly, as Minister President – and therefore had the financial means to undertake the renovation.

In 1744, he hired the well-known court architect Leopoldo Retty (1705-1751) to undertake the transformation of the castle. Retty had already made his name as the chief architect of the Ansbacher Orangerie, the Karlsruhe Residence, and the New Castle in Stuttgart.

In 1790, family member Alexander Friedrich Wilhelm von Seckendorff-Aberdar began the conversion of the baroque gardens surrounding the castle to a landscaped park in the English style. An additional storey was added to the so-called Alexanderbau Wing, and the interior of the Neues Schloss was fully redecorated in the “Pompei” style that was fashionable at the time.

These were the last significant renovations made to the Neues Schloss, as in the 19. and most of the 20. Centuries only cosmetic improvements and maintenance projects were implemented. Finally, in 1972, Friedrich Freiherr von Seckendorff-Aberdar sold both Sugenheim castles (the Neues Schloss and the Altes Schloss), together with a dairy farm, the castle nursery and a variety of outbuildings. In 1975, the Alte Schloss was sold to art dealers Jan und Manuela Kube, who undertook its comprehensive renovation in 1981-1983.

For many years, the once noble Neues Schloss had been left to its fate, with signs of neglect and decay evident on all parts of the building.

At last, in 1989, the circumstances of the Neues Schloss took a significant turn for the better when Hans Heinrich von Garnier revitalized the castle, adhering to the highest standards and paying careful attention to the details.

From 1990-1993, the structural damage to the castle was rectified, stylistically incongruous additions and renovations of the past were removed, and the technical aspects of the property were brought up to date. Additionally, the decaying gardens, grounds and pond were replanted and again cultivated with great care.

It is only through this major investment of time, effort and financial resources that the Mittlefranken region can once again rejoice in this architectural treasure.