Features Ground Floor

The southern connecting corridor with triple-yoked, groined vaults was constructed in the second half of the 16. Century, while the flat-ceilinged Southern Corridor (former external window) was built in the years 1746-1749.

To fortify the staircase, the rooms behind the four nearby window axles were fully renovated in 1746-1749.

     

  In the eastern part of the main building is an almost square room with an inviting fireplace and a carefully renovated cross-ribbed vault with two-by-two yokes on a round central shaft.
     

  At the western end of the building is the former chapel, which is accessible on three sides through corridors and is illuminated by two decorative arched windows.
     

  The steps of the three-flight main staircase to the second floor are finished with large stair treads of Solnhofner marble. The railings of carved wooden balusters and distinctive solid rails were crafted at the beginning of the 19. Century.
     

 

 

Second Floor

All rooms on the second floor have flat plaster ceilings. To both sides of the central corridor are a variety of salons and rooms.   

     

  The reception room is paneled to the ceiling with marble that was originally grey, but has now turned to white. Only the windows and doorways are framed in wood. In this room is a ribbed white tiled stove (Kachelofen) from the beginning of the 19. century. Particular attention should be paid to the wall paintings in the Blue Salon and the Mirror Room.
     

 

Wall Paintings in the Blue Salon (Blauer Salon)

The paintings in the Blue Salon are some of the most important of the few remaining examples of the “Pompei” style of interior decoration with classical character.

The walls are divided into rectangular planes by purple-colored vertical stripes decorated with white spiral tendrils. These planes are painted with images of crabs and satyr masks and highly decorative oval-shaped medallions in their centers.

     


 

Wall Paintings in the Mirror Room (Spiegelzimmer)

In the north-east corner of the floor is the Mirror Room. On the ceiling is a stylized palmetto frieze on a purple background. The rectangular wall panels are framed by decorative blue bands and painted with mythological figures.

On the yellow walls are small rectangular mirrors, over each of which is a round mirror. Above those, the elongated painted lozenges with ducks and dolphins are also highly decorative. On the lower border are round, painted medallions with images of Bacchus.

     



 

Floors

In the majority of the well-preserved rooms, particularly on the second floor, the carefully restored and enhanced original floors are still to be found. These original floors are primarily of oak skirting and rectangular flields made of softwood boards.

One particularly elaborate and exquisitely restored original floor is that of the so-called Blue Salon, with hardwood skirting and fields divided by a central cross, at the ends of which there are small, geometric patterns of inlaid wood. A similarly richly decorated original floor is that of the Mirror Room.

In numerous other rooms, in particular in the second and top storeys, are superior-quality new floors, the materials and design of which create floors of a class that is equivalent to the originals. All the corridors and hallways in the Neues Schloss have floors of German Solnhofner marble slabs, in part utilizing the original marble and otherwise using new 40 cm² slabs with hand-beveled edges. The same is true for the floors in the full- and half-bathrooms and in the kitchens.

     
     


 

Windows, Doors and Closets

All windows on the second floor were outfitted during the renovation of the Neues Schloss with 4-sectioned, coupled, divided-pane casement windows with brass fixtures and solid wood or stone windowsills.

Interior window shutters, which are a component of the paneling of the historical domed rooms, have been hung throughout the second floor. In the diningroom on the south-eastern side of the floor there is a 4-sectioned, glass-paned, modern casement door to the outside balconey. The division of the glass panes on the doors is analogous to that of the second-floor windows.

All the dormer windows have been similarly renovated, although with a single, divided-pane casement window (instead of 4-sectioned). The entranceways to the building have carefully crafted oak double doors with doorframes and transom windows. The lower parts of the doors are parqueted, and the transom windows are of finely etched, colored glass. All of the entranceways are in mint condition following comprehensive renovation and are fitted with security locks.

In terms of the building’s interior doors, they are primarily the original 1810 two-paneled doors with casings and destintive trim, particularly on the second floor. The doors, some of which still fitted with the original brass boxlocks, have been thoroughly renovated (including the brass fittings) and enhanced. All other doors, in particular those to the bathrooms, those in the Alexanderbau Wing, the top floors, etc., are largely comparable to the original doors, including the renovated brass fittings. In the entire building, particularly on the top floor, there are generously sized, newly built closets with two-paneled doors from the early 19. Century. There are further walk-in closets in the attics.



     Original fitted brass boxlocks